[LAU] OT: Chord finder

Funs Seelen funsseelen at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:10:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 13:15 +0200, Funs Seelen wrote:
>> The word "circle" suggests the B# and C
>> to be equal.
>
> Well, draw a circle with a pair of compasses and than take a look how
> circular it is, watching it by a SEM.

Well, what I meant is that it is more like an endless rope that has
endless overlaps, an endless spiral. How tight it is, or better, where
the overlaps are located exactly depends on the temperament. You could
see it as a circle when a piano with 12 keys or a guitar with 12 frets
per octave is your only reference.

> While I'm aware that my statements against theory are stupid, there's a
> funny side that ships with theory.

I understand, but I feel the need to emphasize the value of music
theory when people are quoting something like music is just about
expressing emotion and theory is useless or unnecessary, because I
think that expressing yourself by using a system without having any
knowledge of that system doesn't make much sense. Then why use a
system anyway?

> I bet we easily could jam without playing bad notes and without sharing
> any information about notes and harmony before doing this, just because
> of our experiences.

Yes, I did this for several years, but understanding the theory behind
it opened my eyes.

> But if we would talk about harmonies, we might
> understand what the tonic is, but in the end we would sound like idiots
> treated by Orff music therapy, or we will metamorphose to
> http://www.seknews.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/lehrer-lions.jpg

Where did you get my family picture? :p