[LAU] [ANN] setBfree - DSP tonewheel organ

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Fri Jul 20 05:14:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 01:05:04AM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> We are happy to share the following announcement with you,
>
>      setBfree v0.5.0 was just released under GPLv2.
>
> setBfree is a MIDI-controlled, software synthesizer designed to imitate
> the sound and properties of the electromechanical organs and sound
> modification devices that brought world-wide fame to the names and
> products of Laurens Hammond and Don Leslie.
>
> Homepage: http://setBfree.org
> Source & Issue-tracker : https://github.com/pantherb/setBfree
>

> Will Panther succeeded where others have failed and made it possible to
> adopt Fredrik Kilander's Beatrix in terms of the GPL. We have spent the
> last weeks to update the code-base to meet requirements and are happy to
> announce a first beta version.
>
> The organ and effects as are available as LV2 plugins as well as a
> standalone JACK application. We've reworked the engine to allow
> arbitrary sample-rates, standardized interfaces, fixed various bugs,
> added a build-system, man-pages, a simple GUI for testing, etc.
>
> The sound is still pretty much the same as the original awesome Beatrix.
> Next steps include adding end-user documentation, tweaking and honing
> the synth-engine and fixing the bugs that you discover :)
>
> This release features contributions from
> Fredrik Kilander, Ken Restivo, Will Panther and Robin Gareus.
>
> For discussion please use the linux-audio-user list, bug reports should
> to the issue-tracker at github.
>
> Feedback of any kind is welcome.

Many thanks to Robin and Will for the heroic task of finally getting Beatrix free!

I haven't had a chance to make any music with the new version, but, as part of the discussions of the Hammond distortion, I had dug up an old example of a real Hammond being overdriven by a maniac who seems unable to decide if he's trying to be a percussionist or a shredder-metal guitarist, and figured some on the list might enjoy it:

http://storage.restivo.org/music/Lahar/lahar-bacon_stain-solo.ogg

That's the Boom Boom Room's rather bruised and battered B3, in need of servicing, some years ago.

-ken