[LAU] get on board the blues - D&B variant

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Jul 20 21:13:57 UTC 2012

On 07/20/2012 10:45 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, July 20, 2012 12:58 pm, Robin Gareus wrote:
>
>>> I have no real suggestions for the
>>> bass, but with only bass and vocals, it could use some more high end.
>>> I'd prefer to hear it with the funky guitar playing. :-)
>>
>> I'm not happy with the playing and mix, yet, but there you go:
>> http://robin.linuxaudio.org/rg1-get_on_board_the_blues.ogg
>
> That sounds really good. I think I am used to a little roughness and in
> general prefer live and rough over studio and dead (sterile or whatever).
> The guitar adds just enough to make it work. It doesn't have to have any
> more, but there is space to add to it too without breaking things.

I can imagine adding shaker, but I think I'll go for a Cabasa (if and
when my box with percussion instruments shows up again, that is). The
latter allows to emphasize the swing rhythm more than a shaker would.

As for the guitar: I'm not sure. I did 15 takes of it today and a rough
mix after that. I need fresh ears to decide; at the moment I do favor
the D&B version without guitar + Cabasa to come.

What still nags me is how to best mix this fake upright bass.

thanks for all the feedback,
robin