[LAU] get on board the blues - D&B variant

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jul 23 14:37:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 10:12 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 05:28:03PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 21:11 +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > > I had a really good /round/ bass-sound on my monitors and headphones,
> > > then I noticed that on e.g. thinkpad speakers it was not audible at all.
> > > So I cut everything below 50Hz, increased 120Hz and 300Hz by around 8dB
> > > and added quite some compression to it. Now it sounds OKish on most
> > > speakers that I have access to but not really great on any on them.. Any
> > > hints?
> >
> > For good reasons most mixers have got a 80Hz EQ, so try to increase it
> > there. However, IMO there's no big difference, if people say bass is
> > from 50 to 300 or 60 to 250Hz. What notes are played and what are their
>
> AIUI, you can't hear "proper" bass unless it comes from at least a 15
> inch speaker. So anything else is just a compromise, right?

Yesno, I'm not an expert for speakers and didn't take care about the
inches of speakers I heard in different studios. However, some studios
have monitors that allow to mix in a way, that the result is ok on most
consumer speakers. For bass from a keyboard I experienced that a Peavey
KB-300 (version from the 80s) does sound better than a Roland Cube
(version from the 80s).
When recording and playing with a PC I experienced that sound always is
a little bit muddy. However, even with analog equipment and stand alone
digital equipment I never was able to get the wanted result for the bass
at home and in film studios, in comparison to audio studios, where it
just took seconds to get the nearly perfect bass sound. IMO 15" speakers
aren't good to do a mix that is ok for most consumer equipment, OTOH
Auratones also can't do the job. I wonder how important the room is. I
suspect the EQs and speakers are more important.

When recording an upright bass in the Aula Adolfinum in Moers we used an
analog tape, it was mastered by Friedrich Thein and Dirk Brauner in
THEIN Studio Bremen, but I wasn't there when the mastering was done. IMO
the bass on this recording sounds good, but I dunno what speakers they
used at least all the equipment was top-notch. Note! It's not the kind
of music I like, but audio engineers don't need to like every music,
they just need to do be serious when doing jobs. It's not a recording
job I did, Dirk and I just drop microphones there for the recordings.
http://www.mixcloud.com/henry-bogarde/tim-isfort-orchester-meets-blixa-bargeld-katharina-thalbach-die-ganze-zeit/