[LAU] First single made with linux audio

mn0 mn0 at fukked-up.de
Fri Jun 15 20:58:20 UTC 2012

Hey guys, I'm an idiot , just sent my reply to Julien to Julien only...
and don't even have a copy...
oh alright, he forwarded ;)
So I don't have to write all that again...
Yes, always the snare...
well I'll give the higher freqs a boost as a start, was already thinking
about that, but decided not to do because on my cheap speakers it
sounded well... the still cheap but more expensive near field ones said
i could but don't have to.
Mastering: Well the levels are at -0,1 db, which is the highest level
that doesn't cause massive clipping when encoded to mp3 and decoded.
(once tried that).
Yes... I know, mp3... but people don't have ogg players, least not in
hardware.
Ok, looking closely at the exported wavs lets me see a few peaks, that
could be compressed without changing the general sound giving me some
extra ~2db.
I didn't use sum compression this time, only limiter.

Well to let you know, what i've done at all:
-created buses for front and backing vocals, drums, guitars and bass and
routed the corresponding tracks to them.
-created inserts for every bus except drums, + one in master
-created inserts for bassdrum, snare, floor tom and overheads.
-started an instance of jamin for every insert
-adjust the compressor fast and high threshold so it has minimal effect.
-soloed a track and started searching for 2-3 frequencies that sound
exceptionally good or bad when really boosted in jamin grahpical eq with
a small bandwith
-moved that up/down a few (2-3) db
-gave the compressor knee
--adjust ratio and threshold
-raised the attack and release

Ok I've found the first mistake...
didn't bypass the compressors in master insert.
still jamin default settings.
That is a good reason why levels except a few peaks are so low...
the peaks went through the huge 100ms default attack, the rest is
leveled down...
...never do a mix in a rush.

So, now I'll read the other statements.
Good to have some feedback, this will surely result in a better album.
/mn0