[LAU] Music made with Linux: What happened in the middle?

Stuzz stuzz78 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 5 09:25:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 01:48:34 +1000, Robert Jonsson <spamatica at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Hit me up if you want to know any details about the putting together of
>> the
>> album.  Comments, suggestions and anything else is also welcome and
>> encouraged.
>
> Really great stuff! Haven't listened to all of them yet but I'll
> comment anyway :)
> Great guitar recording, both chops and sound. Podded guitars?
> I wasn't sure if the drums were actually programmed for a while (a
> very good indication) sadly the hihat is a give away, it's just way
> too static.
> To think that you managed to record all this in one month :)
>
> If I would critique anything it would be vocals, there is too much
> room in the recording and it seems to lack high frequencies (though my
> hearing is more impaired than normally, saw Immortal live last night
> hehe) The vocals on the metal stuff would definitely have been better
> with pushing your voice harder.. it gets a bit sore after that
> though... ;)
>
> Good stuff!
>
> Regards,
> Robert

Hi Robert

I suppose you could put the guitars in the 'podded' category.  I have an
older Boss GT-5 effects box.  The guitar (Charvette (by Charvel)) goes
into that, then into an Echo Audiofire4 firewire box and finally into the
computer.  The bass guitar, which I had to borrow just went direct into
the Audiofire4.

As for the drums, they're all manually programed into Hydrogen.  Normally
I wouldn't have left the hi-hats (amongst other things) as they were, but
time got away from me.  Also for most songs I didn't get a chance to put
any effects on the drums.  There's only a handful of quality Hydrogen kits
available, but since you had some doubt that they were programed, they
must get the job done :)

I critique the vocals myself.  I was this close to scrapping the whole
thing due to my dissatisfaction with them.  All the vocals were tracked on
the 25th of Feb (the last Saturday in the month).  With more time there
would have been some re-recording and refinement.  I didn't know the words
either, and I know from hearing other singers, the performance is a damn
site better if they don't need to read sing :)

I'm not quite sure that you mean by 'there is too much room in the
recording'.  Could you elaborate please?  I would suggest the lack of high
frequencies, or just general lack of any other good stuff would be due to
the sub-quality microphone I currently own.  That's the next part of my
setup which will get an upgrade.  I agree that some more gritting vocals
are called for on some songs too.  By and large this is the first proper
vocal recording I've done, so with any luck I'll get able to get somewhere
close to how I want them to be with some more work.

I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment Robert.

Regards
Stuzz
http://stuzz.bandcamp.com