[LAU] Music made with Linux: What happened in the middle?

Robert Jonsson spamatica at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 15:48:34 UTC 2012

Hey Stuzz

2012/3/4 Stuzz <stuzz78 at yahoo.com.au>:
> Good morning
>
> "What happened in the middle?" is the title of my RPM Challenge entry.  For
> the uninitiated, the RPM Challenge is an annual motivation album writing
> event with a simple rule: write and record 10 songs (or 35 minutes worth) of
> music in the month of February.
>
> This was my first time taking part and I was happy enough with the results
> to release it as my debut album on Bandcamp: http://stuzz.bandcamp.com
>
> All sounds were recorded with a recent svn of Ardour3
> All drums were programed with Hydrogen using the GCSW-2 kit for all but "Let
> It Slide", where I used the Big Mono kit.
>
> As usual with Bandcamp, you can stream the lower quality audio, or if you
> Buy Now for $0 or above, you can choose the quality you want, all the way up
> to FLAC.
>
> It's a bit rock, a bit metal, and a few other things.  My favorite songs are
> 04-Around You, closely followed by 09-From the Flames.
>
> The album is released under a Creative Commons CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.
>
> Hit me up if you want to know any details about the putting together of the
> album.  Comments, suggestions and anything else is also welcome and
> encouraged.

Really great stuff! Haven't listened to all of them yet but I'll
comment anyway :)
Great guitar recording, both chops and sound. Podded guitars?
I wasn't sure if the drums were actually programmed for a while (a
very good indication) sadly the hihat is a give away, it's just way
too static.
To think that you managed to record all this in one month :)

If I would critique anything it would be vocals, there is too much
room in the recording and it seems to lack high frequencies (though my
hearing is more impaired than normally, saw Immortal live last night
hehe) The vocals on the metal stuff would definitely have been better
with pushing your voice harder.. it gets a bit sore after that
though... ;)

Good stuff!

Regards,
Robert