[LAU] Music made with Linux: What happened in the middle?

Stuzz stuzz78 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 5 10:12:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 23:52:08 +1000, Julien Claassen <julien at mail.upb.de>
wrote:

> Hi Stuzz!
>
>    If I had to point to an odd one out, I'd really say, that this would
> be "Let it slide". I was surprised to find something as jazzy amidst the
> rest. I couldn't say, finding something so light hearted surprised me,
> because there are a few, which strike me as light.

While listening to this song, I wonder if you might have been thinking of
the album as a whole and asking yourself "What happened in the middle?" ;)

>    I can see, why you would like from the flames so much. Pitty, that
> you couldn't growl to it a little, that would have made it even more
> perfect. Very good playing there. Very precise. That is something that
> struck me in all the pieces, you precision. It is refreshing to hear,
> that these things are possible outside commercial bands. Hm, perhaps
> they are even more common than I might think. But I didn't find a lot of
> small amateur production metal and even less of that came close to being
> good. So and now I wait to stand corrected or being stoned for my
> ignorance. :-)

 From the Flames was 2nd to Around You.  Overall on the whole album I was
most critical about the vocals, and I was most happiest with the vocals on
Around You and in general, it's loud and soft dynamics.  From the Flames
ended up with my favorite riff...  the one I eventually sing "It won't
happen again" over (that's why I repeated it so often :))  Don't get me
wrong though, I like all the songs in there own way.  Growling is on my
list of things to work on.

>    the only thing, that is a pitty about the production, is that you
> always moved your vocals so far into the background. Less reverb,
> probably highpassed and the vocals more up to the front, would have done
> them good. Well, it won't stop me from liking it and listening again and
> telling my best friend, who is the real metal-head in our relationship.

The funny thing is, the further I pushed the vocals into the background,
the happy with them I became :)  However, I've received quite positive
feedback for them so I'll be sure to take your suggestions into
consideration for the future.

> :-) I'm sure he will enjoy it even more. thanks for sharing this, I
> hope, that we might hear a little more of that throughout the year.
> Would be a pitty, to wait for the next RPM. I'd be interested to hear,
> what you come up with, when you have more time to work on one piece.
> Perhaps it might get even more prog metal. Did I mention, that I love
> prog, not only in rock?

I had a good time working on the album, and have continued to record a few
bits and pieces since.  Of course my next release will be another "Music
made with Linux" post in here.

Thanks Julien.

Regards
Stuart
http://stuzz.bandcamp.com

PS.  I'm not sure how the visually impaired would like their responses
formatted.  So I apologize if the above is irksome.