[LAU] Zoom R16

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Mar 14 20:47:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:39 -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> > I have the Zoom R8, and about all I can do with it is mount as an
> > external drive. It would be cool to use it as a control surface with
> > Ardour (I think it can work like a Mackie surface), but getting the
> > USB interface to work with ALSA has been problematic:
> >

> You must be googleing the same internet as I am :)
>
> My little bit of testing here does leave me impressed. Sounds very
> clean and appears to have a lot of options. Just a matter of putting
> on my glasses and boring down into the various menus.

    I've got two r16s (USB linked).  I only use my computer for mix down
and mastering.  The R16s mount fine under Linux.  I haven't had a need
to try it as a control surface and, since I can record 16 tracks live, I
haven't needed to try it as an interface.  It's so much more convenient
to go record wherever you need to than it is to drag people back to my
home "studio".  I record all of my band's gigs live using a direct out
per channel from the board into the R16s.  The gain is a bit touchy but
I can live with it.  Definitely worth the money.

Jan