[LAU] Fedora and Audio [was: Ubuntu Studio]

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 20:26:32 UTC 2012

On 03/24/2012 06:55 AM, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 18 March 2012 at 17:54, Paul Davis<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>  wrote:
>
>> there's nothing wrong with CCRMA maintainance. what has
>> happened with CCRMA is that the overwhelming majority of what
>> fernando used to do (packaging apps) has moved into Fedora
>> itself. that just leaves a few basic tasks which fedora doesn't
>> do and fernando does (primarily building an RT-PREEMPT kernel).
>
> I went looking to find out more.  The information at the end of these
> links is informative and promising to me.
>
> The Fedora 16 Musician's Guide:
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Musicians_Guide/index.html
>
> The Audio Creation FedoraProject, which looks like they're working to
> have a Fedora Audio spin for Fedora 18 (yet to be created).
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Audio_Creation
>
> It's really nice to see that!
>
> Just thought I'd share what I found on the chance that I'm not the
> only one who didn't know.

Thanks for posting Kevin. I 'm one of the members of the Fedora Audio
SIG behind the spin. It is in early days yet, but there was a recent
article which goes into a little bit more detail behind its goals [1].

I'd also just like to point out that the project has also been accepted
as an idea for the Google Summer of Code [2]. If there are any students
who are keen on linux audio and would like to be involved in an open
source project I'd suggest checking it out!

Brendan

[1]
http://www.muktware.com/news/3445/fedora-audio-spin-creating-music-fedora-exclusive-interview
[2]