[LAU] rtirq - what does it improve, and how can I measure it?

Kaj Ailomaa ailomaa at warpmail.net
Mon May 7 12:06:29 UTC 2012

I understand that the rtirq script is designed to raise rtprio for audio
devices, which is made possible on the vanilla kernel since 2.6.39(?),
if passing the threadirqs option to the kernel at boot, and having built
it with the CONFIG_FORCE_THREADIRQ.

 From my experience, I have not had any performance boost using the
rtirq script, but I have read about it helping those who are getting
xruns due to irq sharing.

So, I'm wondering. What picture do others have of the benefit of the
rtirq script?

..and are there other ways to measure improvement for audio operation
other than spotting xruns at different latency settings, and reading the
rtprio for various devices using the 'ps' command?