[LAU] USB audio interfaces >= 8 channels

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue May 15 10:07:36 UTC 2012

Hi *,

I'm looking into buying a new audio-interface. It should have at least 8
analog in and 8 analog outputs - preferably both unbalanced XML and work
with various laptops for the foreseeable future (which likely rules out
firewire and cardbus).

It should be able to provide phantom-power and have decent preamps but
they don't need to be excellent (that's what real preamps are for).

It must be portable and robust (both physical as well as electrical ie.
ground-lift) and it goes without saying: be supported by Linux.
It should also not be more expensive than 1000 euros; and preferably
cheaper.

So far I'm eying the Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL:
http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=65

It has only balanced outputs but otherwise fits the bill.
What seems weird with with this box: it has a word-clock out but no
word-clock input. Also, while it does support up to 96K SPS digitally,
all analog I/O is apparently limited to 20Hz-20kHz (the latter might be
a good thing, though). Oh well. good enough. What is not clear to me is
if the balanced I/Os are [or can be] ground-lifted.

Does anyone have experience with this device? Pros/Cons?
What's the minimum round-trip latency achieved with jack?

Any alternative suggestions?
Bonus-point if the device comes without useless bundled software :)

TIA,
robin