[LAU] Mac Mini? (or, am I an idiot?)

S. Massy lists at wolfdream.ca
Fri May 18 23:51:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 04:23:59PM -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hi again list, sorry so noisy lately -
>
> I've got a Mac Mini.  It's really nice, was bought late last year, 8
> GB RAM, fast processor, etc.  I love OS X, but I really, really,
> really miss Linux.  I've been enjoying Tango Studio (an Ubuntu
> derivative), and would like to install it on my Mac Mini.
>
> Is this stupid?
I have a Mac Mini, the 2009 one, and am running Debian almost
exclusively without problem. The Mini's a good little computer: I
wouldn't buy it again, but it really isn't bad.

> >From what I've been reading, getting this to work is a mix of BootCamp
> and rEFIt (http://refit.sourceforge.net/).  Has anyone done this, and
> if so, what was the experience like?
Sounds right. I find the booting part can be a little fragile at times,
but, by and large, it's stable enough. One thing you should probably
know is that support for the internal audio is a little dodgy if you
want to do more than just playback to the headphones jack: I never got
capture to work.

Cheers,
s.M.