[LAU] denoising audio files

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon May 21 11:42:50 UTC 2012

On 21/05/12 12:05, Iain Mott wrote:
> Hello lau-sters,
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for de-noising
Yes: your ears... Seriously.. 'denoising' is as vague and blurry as
'enhancing'. As people have already suggested there are many different
approaches and consequently tools. Experiment a lot and see what gives
the best result for what you need.
'Cleaning' aim is, in my humble opinion, #1 to consider: e.g. do you
want to make the voice simply as intelligible as possible (in this case
you don't care about possibly destroying its timbre with funky EQ) or do
you want to maintain its character as much as possible (in this case you
have very low room for extreem EQ..)?

> on linux?

Yes. There are many powerful tools, but first try and decide which
routes you'd like to try (e.g. if you need a noise-gate, an eq, a
(fft-based) denoiser, etc.)

Lorenzo.