[LAU] Ardour: delay in audio when recording

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue May 22 00:31:36 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 3:08 pm, jonetsu wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2012 06:46:52 -0700,
> "Len Ovens" <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote :
>
>> Yes hardware is best. Using envy24control or mudita24, go to the
>> patchbay tab and select "Digital Mix L" and "Digital Mix R" as your
>> output to 1and 2 outputs. Then on the first tab "Monitor Inputs"
>> unmute the track(s) you are using for mic in and set the levels where
>> you want. Then goto the next tab "Monitor PCMs" and set the levels of
>> the audio coming from the Ardour tracks you already have. That will
>> setup your monitor mix. The ardour inputs will see the levels set by
>> the analog volume controls
>
> Thanks, this seems quite useful.  'Seems' because there's no
> envy24control nor mudita24 on the system and, doing a 'yum list' does
> not return any package with 'envy' or 'mudi'.  The repo directoy
> in /etc/yum.repos.d/ has livna, fedora and ccrma.

I'm not sure I can answer... running in ubuntu-land these days. The
package I have with envy24control, is alsa-tools-gui. mudita24 is actually
an updated version of the same thing with nicer metering and some other
less cosmetic changes. It is possible to make all those changes from
alsamixer.. but as you say harder

> The system has alsamixer and it was possible to assign HW and HW/1 to
> In0 and In1, but that's about it so far.  I'd rather try with
> envy24control.  Is the package containing this utility bears the same
> name ?  Would you recommend envy24 or mudita24 - any significant
> difference between the two ?

If you atre using h/w and h/w 1, you want to set them to "Digital". Then
you would set Mutli left to full and multi 1 to right full (these are
ardours ourputs). Then hit F4 to go to capture. go over to H/W Multi and
set the level where you want to monitor the input. (this assumes one mic
in input one) Using F5 (all) seems like a nice answer, but ends up
confusing things in this case.

Ya, envy24control is lots easier. I've been looking at QASmixer also,
still painful but nicer than alsamixer.

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net