[LAU] denoising audio files

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Tue May 22 10:33:09 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 21/05/12 23:57, Ricardus Vincente wrote:
>
>>  On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 21:48 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>

>  >> The lack of quality noise-reduction software for linux has been on my
>>

> [...]
>

>  > As in many cases, it's going to be the skills of the user rather
>> > than the tools that are going to determine success or failure.
>>

> [...]
>
>   real NR software
>>

> There is no such thing. As I was trying to explain (and I think if I
> interpret correctly, Fons's point was also on the same lines) it would
> make more sense to speak of *noise reduction strategies*.

Sorry but there are plugins intended specifically to filter out specific
types of noise.  These are much more purpose specific then general purpose
tools like EQ and Gates, but I would once again clarify they are examples
of 'noise reduction software'  as that is specifically their intended
purpose.

Does that mean you don't have to know how to apply them?  Not at all.  But
it does mean you can generally get better results with them than a standard
gate, eq, or other general purpose tool, though in some cases they are
modifications of the basic concepts of those general purpose tools.  Fons
has given several great examples of such tools in his post as well.

       Seablade