[LAU] Portable/Touch devices Linux-friendly

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 10:57:17 UTC 2012

2012/11/29 Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>:

> On Thu, November 29, 2012 8:16 pm, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:
>> Hello dear all.
>>
>> I'm thinking about purchasing some device that is portable, better if
>> it has a touch screen.
>> I would love your opinion and maybe know about some devices I'm not
>> aware yet that are Linux-friendly or have standard components.
>>

> Wait a few more months. Asus are going head to head with Sony for the
> largest touchscreen PC/Tablet and they are going to make it x86... There
> will be more of these devices arriving in the next two quarters now that
> the hype over Windows 8 has started to subside and the manufacturers
> realise they can't ignore Linux solutions.
>

>> The possibilities are:
>>
>> Netbook / Barebone / UMPC / Headless-Board devices:
>> * pros: portable, powerful, versatile, multipurpose, you can use
>> almost any repository and distro (x86/x86_64 arq.), multiple
>> connections, compatible HW out-of-the-box, UMPCs (Ultra Mobile PCs)
>> have touch screens
>> * cons: some don't have (touch)screen, some don't have HD, you need
>> peripherals (mouse, keyboard), poor HW compatibility (touch screen one
>> of the cases), ARM sometimes is not enough for audio
>>
>> Tablet, Mobile:
>> * pros: GUI really touch-driven, don't need peripherals, multi-core
>> chips, some companies have Android tablets but they also publish
>> Debian/Linux images for the device you could tweak (Archos), HW
>> is/could be Linux compatible if it runs on Android, USB compliant HW
>> should run
>> * cons: limited power (ARM sometimes is not enough for audio), don't
>> have typical Linux-audio SW and repositories, scarce quality
>> audio-apps, proprietary connectors, you have to develop a mobile
>> version of your apps, latency is an important issue on Android
>>
>> I guess our friends at Indamixx surely had to deal with something like
>> this at the time, and now there's even more choices with a flood of
>> portable touch devices everywhere.
>>
>> Thanks all in advance.
>>
>> P.D: Here are some examples to illustrate:
>>
>> * Netbooks:
>> http://eeepc.asus.com/
>>
>> * UMPC:
>>  - http://www.umpcportal.com/products/Viliv/X70%20EX/
>>
>> * Headless-Board devices:
>> http://www.raspberrypi.org/
>> http://pandaboard.org/
>> http://beagleboard.org/
>>
>> * Tablet:
>>  -
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00422XOEG/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=fibykr-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00422XOEG
>>  - Debian in Archos:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGnkzAiuhUk&list=PL281A181403192C58&feature=plcp
>>
>> --
>> Carlos sanchiavedraz
>> * Musix GNU+Linux
>>   http://www.musix.es
>>

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> [...]

I already know some of those you mention, you can watch it here in a
Rudess presentation for Win 8:
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2012/11/01/why-microsoft-needs-musicians/2/

But I think their maybe two heavy to carry, and I would prefer
something robust for live use and traveling.

Thanks, Patrick.

--
Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux