[LAU] question about qjackctl explicitly setting the wm class name

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Nov 30 16:17:29 UTC 2012

On 11/30/2012 03:22 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> All,
>
> This one is a bit convoluted so please stick with me while I try to explain.
>
> The problem manifests itself on Ubuntu using Unity (I know, I know, some
> will claim they don't care about it and I fully appreciate that, but I
> am not entirely sure this is about Unity).
>
> As I've learned by working on pd-l2ork, it appears that Unity assigns
> windows under the appropriate icon based on window class name (at least
> that is how tcl/tk calls it). If no class name is specified, Unity gives
> window class name based on the name of the shortcut that started the app
> (.desktop file) and herein lies the problem.
>
> While typically .desktop files will have the same name as the app, and
> starting them as such will not  be a problem, I have a a shell script
> built for L2Ork participants that appears as a desktop shortcut.
> Double-clicking on the shortcut starts the bash script that detects
> whether qjackctl is already running and if not starts it, then it starts
> pd-l2ork and uses optional argument to open the right piece. Since I
> made pd-l2ork explicitly set its own window class using the following
> command:
>
> toplevel $window -class <name>
>
> all pd-l2ork windows appear under the icon that I pinned on the Unity
> launcher. The important thing is this was not the case until I
> explicitly set the window class name. Before I did this, it would appear
> under the name of the .desktop file name since Unity did not find any
> other explicit information on the program, resulting in a new question
> mark icon that appears on the launcher and program window(s) being
> pegged under this new icon. On the other hand, since qjackctl does not
> explicitly set its window class name, it continues to (mis)behave like
> pd-l2ork used to prior to explicitly setting its window class names.
> Namely, when I click on the shortcut in Unity launcher/menu, its newly
> spawned window is pegged under qjackctl icon (as it should). However,
> when I run qjackctl through the script, it is pegged under the new
> question marked icon bearing the name of the .desktop shortcut.
>
> So, here's the question that's been bugging me: is there a way to
> explicitly set the window class name in qt as is the case with tcl/tk
> (FWIW, I would be seriously surprised if one couldn't since I consider
> qt far superior to tcl/tk) and if so, would it be possible to add this
> to the future releases of qjackctl?

had you tried
   qjackctl -name <name>
?

> Another completely unrelated qjackctl wishlist question is would it be
> possible to disable popping up message window and the pop-up error
> window in the event the qjackctl does not connect successfully connect
> to jackd via a preferences option as it can be quite annoying for new
> users to click through those two windows every time attempted start of
> jackd fails...

two windows? that's unity snafu's most certainly o.O there should be
only one, either a bubble window (if the systray icon is enabled) *or* a
plain standard message-box window.

> Many thanks!

i don't use unity and don't plan to use ever. so both support
question(s) remain

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela