[LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Oct 10 10:50:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Dan MacDonald <allcoms at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi LV!
>
> Nice and interesting write up of your experiences and opinions there. I
> agree with most all of it except:
>
> "Saving projects is still a huge problem. In addition to LADISH we do now
> have NSM, the Non-Session Manager, which seems like a workable solution, so
> we'll see how this works out in the long run.
> LMMS seems to be the only game in town for those who want to save full
> projects by just clicking "Save" and not having to install and configure a
> "session manager". I must admit, by the way, that I have not followed LMMS
> recently."
>
> Saving projects is only tricky if you use the modular approach versus
> instrument plugins hence this isn't really a problem for A3 and qtractor.
> Aside from LMMS, MusE and sunvox have a few integrated instruments so they
> don't have this problem either (if you stick to the built-in synths for
> Muse only - sunvox doesn't handle plugins) and pretty soon MusE should gain
> native VST support to further improve this situation.
>
> Your article has reminded me of my one and only JACK complaint/ feature
> (yep - just one!!!) request which I filed a couple of years ago now but is
> still to be addressed:
>
> http://trac.jackaudio.org/ticket/202
>
> I'm surprised others haven't been asking for more descriptive 'device
> busy' error messages from JACK as for many years this has been my only
> issue with JACK - it doesn't start and you don't know what process is
> preventing it doing so. Quite often I'll not bother doing the detective
> work and just reboot but that is hardly ideal so I think this small
> addition would make JACK (and qjackctl) and as a result Linux audio much
> more user friendly.
>
> Your thoughts Mr Davis?

current jack1 (released months or years ago):

 if (snd_pcm_open (&driver->playback_handle,
                                  playback_alsa_device,
                                  SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK,
                                  SND_PCM_NONBLOCK) < 0) {
                        switch (errno) {
                        case EBUSY:
                                current_apps = discover_alsa_using_apps ();
                                if (current_apps) {
                                        jack_error ("\n\nATTENTION: The
playback device \"%s\" is "
                                                    "already in use. The