[LAU] SEO [was: Re: [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 10 21:27:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, October 11, 2012 7:23 am, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>> Marketing companies spend millions of client dollars on SEO and manage
>> get a lot done with just a few dedicated people. We have thousands of
>> users and each one of us can build a website or post links in forums and
>> social media to the landing pages that we want to promote. Our sites all
>> link up to each other anyway so it just needs some effort from people
>> around here to spread the links and evangelise the platform.
>
> Oh for god's sake. Inbound links are the past of search engines marketing.

Where do you get that idea? Has the web suddenly stopped using hyper links?

Page rank in primarily built on two things, Unique content and referring
links. If the referring links are spread out across multiple domains and
ip addresses from multiple regional locations and they are referenced by
useful keywords that people are searching for that improves ranking.

linking "click here" is not as good for ranking as linking "For
professional audio, multimedia, productions tools on Linux click here".

In addition social media and embedded direct links on other highly ranked
sites play a big part in page rank too. If a site that has a ranking of 10
links to a site that has a ranking of 1 that improves the page rank for
the lower ranked site.

Google is struggling to provide the kind of results that they used to be
capable of in realtime search at the moment but that has more to do with
"big data" issues  where they are caching search results  to save on
having to retrieve them from their archives to maximise system performance
than wholesale changes to their search algorithms.

One thing that has recently changed is that forums and hosted content
sites are becoming higher ranked than mailing lists. In some cases it is
useful but often it results in a lower quality of information.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd