[LAU] [LAD] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 10 21:51:01 UTC 2012

On Thu, October 11, 2012 8:25 am, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>> Because, you know, all I hear is that evil media is so very evil. And
>>> for some reason which I can't really explain it sounds a bagload of
>>> excuses to me.
>>
>> People gave up on bothering years ago when they realised that it was a
>> pointless battle.
>
> OK, I think there's just one way to prove you wrong.
>
>>> Besides, what is it exactly that you want to promote? :)
>>
>> Linux as a platform for Multimedia production. Is that a problem?
>
> Let me think. Yes, I think it is :)
>
> Since you are in marketing, you should very well know that a landing
> page is something that has a call to action button.

Only if you are seeking to sell a specific product.

> What will be the call to action button, Patrick? Where will it lead?
> How will you handle "shut up and take my money" impulses?

We can provide specific landing pages with that facility. Feel free to
build one if you want to go down that path.

>>> I truly admire your priorities :)
>>
>> If you have something better to offer put it on the table.
>
> Publishing awesome inspiring content is what I'd do. In fact it's what
> I already do, just in my primary field. Because, you see, I don't
> believe in a thousand of people pointing their little fluffy blogs at
> a content that few people deeply care about. We've been there already.
> It doesn't work all that well.

It works pretty well and we wouldn't be where we are now without it.
However I disagree that there are any fluffy blogs promoting linux Audio
and multimedia. It might be etter bang for our buck if there were more
fluffy blogs and less serious, intense and intelligent posts being made.

Afaik there are very few people targeting childrens content or popular music.

> People want to be inspired. In terms of audio that would be great
> composition and arrangement, fat and rich sound, professional mixing
> and mastering. Oh, and "I didn't spend half of my lifetime on that"
> label. That would get attention. Can you provide that? Will you be
> able to support the interest?

We are working on it :-)

> See? It's not that I'm against fixing the crap. I'd just hate to see a
> lot of efforts spent for no real benefit.

What are the *only* two forms of marketing?

Mass marketing and Direct marketing.

As a community of people posting information all over the world we can do
both without a large financial investment required by any one person.

It's the kind of spread and resource that big evil corporations are paying
very handsomely for and we have it for free. IMO the only thing stopping
us from maximising it is internal resistance against the possibility that
we might actually have something worthwhile to promote. That is exactly
what the "competition" wants. If we as a community keep believing and
reinforcing the ridiculous notion that we have nothing of value to really
promote or talk about and we are not moving forward or making any
significant progress then we are just fulfilling a negative agenda.

Businesses want to see a serious sales prospect when they back a product.
They need to know that backing a Linux port is going to make them money.
Just like BMW saying they intend to make money from their new electric car
range, AV companies want to be confident when they say they intend to make
money from their Linux range. Just like General Electric building the
biggest Solar PV installation in Australia, Harrison consoles is committed
to Linux as a platform because it is a good business solution.

Linux Audio is a robust, low latency and scaleable alternative. Nothing
more or less. It just needs better promotion so that businesses that are
sitting on the fence can feel the confidence to make their play. If we
have more businesses using and promoting Linux as a platform for
multimedia production we will get more users and producers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd