[LAU] sample hosting [was Re: Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?]

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Oct 11 01:14:48 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 10 October 2012 18:12:11 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Thu, October 11, 2012 7:45 am, drew Roberts wrote:
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2012 15:53:30 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> >> Having some killer content won't go amiss either.
> >
> > Can we find somewhere to host ardour projects and some willing musicians
> > license their complete projects cc BY-SA or BY?
> >
> > It may prove a killer way to release songs. One ready to be played with,
> > remixed, added to, played along with, and so much more.
>
> Nils was planning to load up a large set of samples on linuxaudio.org. We
> may be able to turn the space into a community hosted sample/project
> archive. However it will require many terabytes of disk space if we are
> going to do it seriously and that will require us to either generate an
> income stream from the users or crowd fund the hardware and hosting costs.
>
> The consensus is that we should have a seperate server for a project like
> this as the disk space requirements are bound to get expensive quickly.
>
> But there is a business model for providing a service like that. Running
> it on Linux is a no brainer. Kim Dotcom has made billions out of it so
> there should be some room for Linux Audio peeps too.

If people are willing to put a Free license on the projects, it may just take
some outreach from linuxaudio to the internet archive folks at archive.org.

I can't ever get a response to my emails from them but perhaps someone else
has some way to get a dialog going.

I am sure it can be done in an ad hoc fashion now but to be really sweet it
will probably need some coordination.

> --
> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd