[LAU] sample hosting [was Re: Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?]

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Oct 10 22:12:11 UTC 2012

On Thu, October 11, 2012 7:45 am, drew Roberts wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 October 2012 15:53:30 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Having some killer content won't go amiss either.
>
> Can we find somewhere to host ardour projects and some willing musicians
> license their complete projects cc BY-SA or BY?
>
> It may prove a killer way to release songs. One ready to be played with,
> remixed, added to, played along with, and so much more.

Nils was planning to load up a large set of samples on linuxaudio.org. We
may be able to turn the space into a community hosted sample/project
archive. However it will require many terabytes of disk space if we are
going to do it seriously and that will require us to either generate an
income stream from the users or crowd fund the hardware and hosting costs.

The consensus is that we should have a seperate server for a project like
this as the disk space requirements are bound to get expensive quickly.

But there is a business model for providing a service like that. Running
it on Linux is a no brainer. Kim Dotcom has made billions out of it so
there should be some room for Linux Audio peeps too.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd