[LAU] PCIe audio gear [was: Too many xruns]

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Fri Oct 12 17:18:06 UTC 2012

On 7 September 2012 at 13:31, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at cosgroves.us> wrote:

> On 7 September 2012 at 6:14, "Len Ovens" <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> > > Also, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158165
> > > which has some customer reviews.
> >
> > The review looks bad for audio cards. I guess there is an
> > onboard regulator that does not allow enough current :P So
> > the onboard reg would have to be bypassed and an external one
> > added.
>
> I wonder if there's enough current to run the PCI card portion of
> the Delta 1010 setup?  The data converters are in a break-out box
> in an audio rack.  There isn't a whole lot on the PCI card, no
> fans, and I don't even think any heat sinks.  That might indicate
> low power.
>
> > Better price though.
>
> Maybe I should try one?  But, one reviewer's comment about the
> card being so badly manufactured that it damaged his motherboard
> makes me nervous.

I did try the mentioned card, getting mine through Newegg.

The card works with the PCI card portion of the M-Audio Delta
1010 system.  This *really* helped my xrun issue.  They went away
completely.  But, mechanically it wasn't so good.  The S/PDIF
connectors of the card that used to stick out the back of the
computer were covered up, and the DB-25 connector barely fit.
Also, the card is pretty wobbly, and there's no way to screw down
the daughter (e.g. Delta 1010) card of the pair.  If this is the
only choice available, it *DOES* work.  But, I'm going solve the
interrupt problem without resorting to this.

I hope this info is useful to somebody.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin