[LAU] new music from Will

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Oct 12 22:29:26 UTC 2012

Greetings,

Fellow Linux audio user Folderol is having problems sending to this
list, so he asked me to forward this message:

Subject: Something new (at last!)

Last Friday after work I tried to develop a new yoshimi voice patch. I never
succeeded in getting what I wanted but I did manage to produce a very nice lead
sound. I then started fiddle with the settings in Rosegarden to make another
stab at getting it to record MIDI from two keyboards on different ports
directly to two different tracks, and sounding two different yoshimi voices. By
the time I managed to do this it was no longer Friday, but the early hours
of Saturday.

I wasn't the least bit tired so started to noodle around with my left hand
playing a choir sound, and the right hand playing my new lead sound on the other
keyboard. I thought what I was playing didn't sound too bad so hit record.
However it seems I didn't notice the magic pixie dust falling around me, and
just left the recording and went to bed for a few hours.

Much later that day, I had what was going to be a quick listen before scrubbing
it. Instead, with just a top-and-tail, and one chord change I stuck it up on
Soundcloud. I was very pleased with the response!

However, the tune was not done with me yet, and Wednesday evening I used
exactly the same method to record an intro, and a very short insert near the
end. I did the absolute minimum of editing to make it all fit - I didn't want
to accidentally shake out any of that pixie dust.

Finally, in response to a comment I received on the original, I added a very
deep, subdued bass line. Due to the free-form nature of the melody, this was
actually the hardest part of all, and took a lot of patching and retries.

Anyway, here is the final result. I hope you like it. The name of my new lead
sound is also the title of the track

http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Solo.ogg

-- Will J Godfrey http://www.musically.me.uk Say you have a poem and I
have a tune. Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.