[LAU] [ot] Data recovery

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 13:29:57 UTC 2012

Hello, Julien. And sorry for your situation. Unfortunately, I suffered
something similar with an HD some years ago and today I still have a list
of files with strange names to check, sort and rename properly. But at
least I recovered a lot of them (don't know if all).

So I tell you that I did recover things with some non-FLOSS software
somebody recommended me then, I had no time to do a proper search for FLOSS
alternatives.

I concur with what Robin said: don't write or mount read only. Very
important.

Just in case, I add to what have been said some tools you can use now that,
at first, could be better for you as they can be used not so GUI-driven and
are Linux based:

LiveCDs:

* SystemRescueCd <http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page>: live Linux rescue CD
that offers numerous tools to handle numerous tasks, including partition
manipulation, file recovery, hard disk testing, ftp, and disk formatting.

* Knoppix <http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html> and F-Secure
Rescue CD <http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/tools/rescue-cd/>(based
on Knoppix)

* Parted Magic <http://distrowatch.com/partedmagic>

* Ubuntu Rescue Remix <http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/> another live Linux
CD tools

I remember people recommended me mainly SystemRecueCD, F-Secure and
PartedMagic

Other:

* Ddrescue <http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html> and Safecopy
<http://safecopy.sourceforge.net/>are tools that allow tasks related to
copying disks with errors and such

Tons of luck, Julien.

2012/9/9 Julien Claassen <julien at mail.upb.de>

> Hello everyone!
>   Thanks for your quick response and advise. I discovered a tool called
> ext3grep, which contrary to its name, does not just do grepping. It seems
> to work. Only one directory seems really gone, and that's not too bad.
>   Thanks everyone and sorry for panicking at you. :-(
>
>   Kind regards
>           Julien

Carlos sanchiavedraz
* Musix GNU+Linux