[LAU] Any Linux distro with Jack and Pulseaudio working right?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Oct 28 20:28:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, October 28, 2012 1:02 pm, Luigino Bracci wrote:

> Right now, I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 with lowlatency kernel. Qjackctl is
> automatically started after log in; we use pulseaudio-module-jack to route
> the Pulseaudio applications to the Jack sound server. But sometimes Jack
> is
> stopped accidentally by the user, or Jackd stop itself when the CPU is at
> 100%, and the users don't know with the computer has no audio.

My first question would be: Do you need jack? If you are doing mostly
pulse stuff (or all) then you will get better use of just pulse. If you
must have jack for your sound IF to work (fire wire for example) then I
would suggest a script when the user logs in that starts jack.

Note: I have an interest in what the workflow(s) are that you are doing
that requires this configuration, because I help with Ubuntustudio and
would like it to handle as many things as it can right out of the box. Or
with minimal setup anyway.

> KXStudio 12.04 is an excellent and very robust distro, Jack and Pulseaudio
> works transparently, but my users are used to the Gnome 2 interface.

Gnome 2 is dead (well at least no longer supported) so the next best thing
would be xfce. (which is what ubuntustudio uses these days) It should not
be too hard to install Kxstudio and add xfce either directly or by
installing installing xubuntu-desktop (I think) or ubuntustudio-desktop.
Then at login (in lightdm) select the xfce session. I am not sure which DE
Kxstudio uses, but if they are using gnome3 you may be able to just
install xfce-panel and mess with what gnome starts at the beginning of
session... but that would be for advanced users :)

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net