[LAU] [LAD] Kontakt sampler format (and others like EXS24)

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 16:22:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM, hermann meyer <brummer- at web.de> wrote:

> Which imply that you miss a feature in guitarix and/or Rakkarrack, or at
> least think that they are incomplete. You wrote this here in a open Mailing
> List, but didn't think that it is worse to let the developers of those
> tools know about that. And, o top of it, if you get ask directly what you
> missing, you wrote, "oh, nothing,. . "

For once, I have to stick up for Ralf.  Simply put, it doesn't imply
anything.

Just because there is an option for something on another OS doesn't mean
that I think that feature should be in every piece of software on Linux.
This isn't comparing Guitarix or Rakkarak to specific pieces of software,
this is comparing the choices of software for a usage and variety of tools
on Linux to those on Windows or Mac.  Guitarix or Rakarrak are just
examples of what exists on Linux, and while I don't use them, just because
they can't do everything that hundreds of pieces of software on Mac or
Windows do, doesn't mean they are incomplete.  This is ESPECIALLY true
given your own view of the product goals which you stated...

I like to let you know that we never have the goal to make a competition to
> windows or other OS's. We just like to provide a OpenSource Tube Amplifier
> emulation.

Your software only provides one specific piece to the selection of guitar
FX software.

Just because I have an option of using a socket driver and socket sets
doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with my combination wrenches.  In
the audio world this translates into, just because I have the option of
using EQ-A instead of EQ-B it doesn't necessarily mean I think either is
wrong.  I can use LinuxDSP's Pultec EQ, instead of or with Harrison
Console's built in EQ on Mixbus, or I could use one of a half dozen
different other EQs instead of either, and depending on the material I will
use multiple.  But this level of choice still doesn't compare to the
literally hundreds of EQs available on Windows or Mac, but they do what I
need them to and I am perfectly happy with them.

You got really defensive against something that wasn't an attack on you or
your software in my opinion.  Personally I don't even use either pieces of
software so I can't speak for how good or bad they are, but I read nothing
in Ralf's responses that said they were bad at all.  Just that they don't
equate to the much larger selection of tools on other OSes.

       Seablade