[LAU] MIDI keyboard not recognized

jy jypllx at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 07:50:52 UTC 2012

2012/9/9 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr>

> On Sunday 09 September 2012 20:54, jy wrote:

> > > compliant)

> > > It's not showing up in the cards list above, which seems to indicate
> that
> > > the
> > > snd_usb_audio module isn't loaded, or you've forgotten to switch the
> > > keyboard
> > > on.  Have a look in lsmod to see if the module is showing there.
> > >
> > > If not, load it with.
> > > sudo modprobe snd_usb_audio
> > >
> > > Then see if the keyboard shows up in the cards list.
> > >
> > > Nigel.
>
> > So :
> >
> > * module snd_usb_audio is already loaded
> > * after running aj2midid -e, keyboard is still missing from ALSA and JACK
> > tabs...
> >
> > It's true that I was surprised that the keyboard did not appear in
> > /proc/asound/cards but as it does appear in amidi -l, i'm thinking that
> > alsa is correctly recognizing the keyboard... Could i be wrong?
> > Thing is I'm not sure if this is an ALSA issue or jack/qjackctl one.
> >
> > how could i troubleshoot this ?
> >
> > jy
>
> Please send replies to the list and put your replies at the bottom of the
> post, which makes it easier to follow.

Oups! Sorry i didn't mean to ! I assumed that the list would handle replies
but I made a mistake. My bad !

> Ok. It does need to be listed as a card in /proc/asound/cards, just as a
> webcam with built in mike (although not a soundcard as such) will have a
> card
> entry and uses snd_usb_audio. So why isn't it there?

> Does it need firmware loading? I know some M-audio keyboards do. My
> Evolution
> keyboard doesn't, but someone with the same as yours will say.

Nope. The very same keyboard was properly recognized with my previous setup
(ubuntu 10.04). Plus it's USB class compliant.

> Have you tried it in a different USB slot if you have spare ones?  Not in a
> hub as some USB things don't like hubs.

I use the very same slot that I used on my previous setup.

> The only other thing I can think of is that both the sound card and the
> keyboard are trying to grab card0 and the soundcard is winning, thus the
> keyboard can't use it.  Now I've seen this the other way round due to the
> USB
> coming up early in the boot process and my keyboard grabbing card0 leaving
> no
> place for the actual soundcard.

> This is a very old problem, but may for some reason be happening in your
> case,
> so I suggest putting some index options in /etc/modprobe.d/options, which
> will at least confirm if that is the problem or not. See below.
>
> options snd_hda_intel index=0
> options snd_usb-audio index=1
>
> Best to reboot and then see if /proc/asound/cards lists both.
>
> Seems a good idea ! I'll try that. I might not be able to do it before
tomorrow though...

Still it's strange that the keyboard does not appear in /proc/asound/cards

The other thing that strikes me is that on my previous setup after
installing my soundcard drivers (Realtek ACL888), /proc/asound/cards listed
3 different ones : ACL888 anog, ACL888 digital and some kind of HDMI sound
card.
Here wiht my new setup, /proc/asound/cards only lists 1 sound card HDA
intel but aplay -l lists the 3 i was telling you about above...

That doesn't seem right to me... :-/

Thanks a lot
jy