[LAU] MIDI keyboard not recognized

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Sep 10 15:04:48 UTC 2012

On Monday 10 September 2012 09:50, jy wrote:
> 2012/9/9 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr>

> > that

> > > So :
> > >
> > > * module snd_usb_audio is already loaded
> > > * after running aj2midid -e, keyboard is still missing from ALSA and
> > > JACK tabs...
> > >
> > > It's true that I was surprised that the keyboard did not appear in
> > > /proc/asound/cards but as it does appear in amidi -l, i'm thinking that
> > > alsa is correctly recognizing the keyboard... Could i be wrong?
> > > Thing is I'm not sure if this is an ALSA issue or jack/qjackctl one.
> > >
> > > how could i troubleshoot this ?
> > >
> > > jy
> >
> > Please send replies to the list and put your replies at the bottom of the
> > post, which makes it easier to follow.
>
> Oups! Sorry i didn't mean to ! I assumed that the list would handle replies
> but I made a mistake. My bad !
>
> > Ok. It does need to be listed as a card in /proc/asound/cards, just as a
> > webcam with built in mike (although not a soundcard as such) will have a
> > card
> > entry and uses snd_usb_audio. So why isn't it there?
> >

> > Does it need firmware loading? I know some M-audio keyboards do. My
> > Evolution
> > keyboard doesn't, but someone with the same as yours will say.
>
> Nope. The very same keyboard was properly recognized with my previous setup
> (ubuntu 10.04). Plus it's USB class compliant.
>
> > Have you tried it in a different USB slot if you have spare ones?  Not in
> > a hub as some USB things don't like hubs.
>
> I use the very same slot that I used on my previous setup.
>
> > The only other thing I can think of is that both the sound card and the
> > keyboard are trying to grab card0 and the soundcard is winning, thus the
> > keyboard can't use it.  Now I've seen this the other way round due to the
> > USB
> > coming up early in the boot process and my keyboard grabbing card0
> > leaving no
> > place for the actual soundcard.
> >

> > This is a very old problem, but may for some reason be happening in your
> > case,
> > so I suggest putting some index options in /etc/modprobe.d/options, which
> > will at least confirm if that is the problem or not. See below.
> >
> > options snd_hda_intel index=0
> > options snd_usb-audio index=1
> >
> > Best to reboot and then see if /proc/asound/cards lists both.
> >
> > Seems a good idea ! I'll try that. I might not be able to do it before
>
> tomorrow though...
>
> Still it's strange that the keyboard does not appear in /proc/asound/cards
>
> The other thing that strikes me is that on my previous setup after
> installing my soundcard drivers (Realtek ACL888), /proc/asound/cards listed
> 3 different ones : ACL888 anog, ACL888 digital and some kind of HDMI sound
> card.
> Here wiht my new setup, /proc/asound/cards only lists 1 sound card HDA
> intel but aplay -l lists the 3 i was telling you about above...

Yeh, that's another little problem.

> That doesn't seem right to me... :-/
>
> Thanks a lot
> jy

Lets have a go at the USB problem. Your lsusb shows a webcam. I can't find any
details about it on the web, but presume there's a mike on the card which
will need to use snd_usb_audio. I'm guessing there may be a conflict where
both usb audio devices are trying to use snd_usb_audio in the same card slot.
So first thing to try is to remove the midi keyboard from the machine, then
see if anything turns up in /proc/asound/cards, like hopefully the webcam
mike using snd_usb_audio as card1.

If by some miracle it does, you need to add an options line
in /etc/modprobe,d/options to cover both devices, the webcam mike and the
midi keyboard.

Run lsusb -n  and you should see the Vid/Pid's for both devices in hex. Add
the following options line, removing the snd_usb_audio options line I gave
you yesterday but leaving the one for the soundcard.

[courtesy of a post on Linux Musicians forum]
Look at the output of “lsusb” and “lsusb -n” for the vendor/product IDs of the
devices, then specify these IDs in the vid and/or pid options, in
hexadecimal. For exampe, if your first USB device has IDs 0123:4567 and the
second 89ab:cdef, use the line

options snd-usb-audio index=2,3 pid=0x4567,0xcdef

You will need to change the 4567 and cdef for whatever the pid's are for the
webcam and midi keyboard.

Right. Go for it!  He says, not holding out much hope.

Nigel.