[LAU] convert 32bit/96kHz Wav to flac and ogg

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 10:15:26 UTC 2012

On 21/09/12 09:03, Thijs van severen wrote:
> hi all
>
> i'm trying to find a reliable way to convert a batch of wav files to
> flac and ogg
> i have a py script that uses oggenc and flac for this, but since i
> newer know what the exact bitrate/samplefreq of the input wav files
> will be i want the conversion to be as robust as possible
>
> currently i can convert the most common formats, but i'm having
> trouble converting 32bit/96kHz stereo wav files : flac and oggenc dont
> like them :-(
> i have tried with ffmpeg and various settings but i cant get it to work

According to the FLAC web site [1]:

"FLAC supports from 4 to 32 bits per sample. Currently the reference
encoder and decoders only support up to 24 bits per sample."

I'm not sure if there exists an encoder/decoder wish *does* support 32 bit.

If you can live with a bitrate of 24 bits, sox will automatically do the
conversion:

sox 96k_32b_file.wav out_file.flac

Apparently this was also discussed already in 2007 on the flac-dev
mailing list [2]

> using 'sound convertor 1.4.4' i can convert the samples, but that's a
> gui app (and i want to script the conversion) + it does crash quite a
> bit when i try to convert a number of these wav files in batch

Notice that even soundconverter will most probably change the bitrate to
24 bit I would bet it is using the flac encoder anyway

Lorenzo.

[1] http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#metadata_block_streaminfo
[2] http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/flac-dev/2007-April/002185.html