[LAU] ALSA - JACK via loopback device

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Sep 23 13:04:24 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Sebastian Rose <s.rose at semkath.de> wrote:

> I thought that "type plug" should autoconfigure the device in use
> accordingly. I tried to make a manual configuration with dmix but it didn't
> work and I'm not sure if it is necessary. The alsa documentation states
> that dmix is used when the device has no hardware mixer and I'm quite sure
> that a virtual loopback device has none.

dmix is the only way to do that, unless you include running PulseAudio with
the loopback device.

its also getting pretty silly when you're trying to use ALSA dmix or
PulseAudio to mix multiple non-JACK-aware applications into a psuedo-device
that communicates with JACK, given that device sharing is (partially) what
JACK was intended for in the first place.