[LAU] ALSA - JACK via loopback device

Sebastian Rose s.rose at semkath.de
Sun Sep 23 14:51:34 UTC 2012

On 23/09/12 15:04, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 7:08 AM, Sebastian Rose <s.rose at semkath.de> wrote:
>
>> I thought that "type plug" should autoconfigure the device in use
>> accordingly. I tried to make a manual configuration with dmix but it didn't
>> work and I'm not sure if it is necessary. The alsa documentation states
>> that dmix is used when the device has no hardware mixer and I'm quite sure
>> that a virtual loopback device has none.
>>

> dmix is the only way to do that, unless you include running PulseAudio with
> the loopback device.

Since I don't use PulseAudio I will give dmix another shot, thanks.

> its also getting pretty silly when you're trying to use ALSA dmix or
> PulseAudio to mix multiple non-JACK-aware applications into a psuedo-device
> that communicates with JACK, given that device sharing is (partially) what
> JACK was intended for in the first place.

Silly: yes. But if I want to use Flashplayer and Skype at the same time
and don't want to use different soundcards (quite a recording hassle for
podcast production, for example) and use a decent audio interface with a
good microphone, I'm stuck with this choice.