[LAU] Frequency-selective compressor?

Florian Paul Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Fri Sep 28 13:27:39 UTC 2012

On Friday, September 28, 2012 09:15:21 AM Rick Green wrote:
>    A friend has discovered some historical recordings of his Grandfather in
> the Smithsonian's collection, and would like us to clean them up a bit for
> publication.  One of the issues is that the triangle player is often off
> the beat with the rest of the band, and he would like us to push the
> triangle to the back of the mix.
>    Is there a plugin something like a compressor coupled to a notch or comb
> filter that I could use to suppress the sound of the triangle within a
> recording of a Cajun band?

Hi,

sadly it's not sooo simple to supress a single instrument from a mix. A
triangle is pretty narrowbanded though, so one could maybe get away with a
narrow notch filter. But the more problematic part is the attack phase of the
triangle. It is rather wide spectrum (compared to the tail) and sadly the
attack phase is what defines its rhythm.

Maybe there's research out there though. If you had a model of the triangle
sound there might be ways of a] detecting where a triangle note is played and
b] basically subtract the model prediction from the audio signal at that
point..

Have fun,

Flo