[LAU] ABX test invite

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Fri Apr 5 09:02:01 UTC 2013

Quoting Raffaele Morelli <raffaele.morelli at gmail.com>:

> 2013/4/5 Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com>:
>> So here is the thing, it makes a large difference what the source is as to
>> how obvious it would be.

> Right, as I said in a previous post ABX test is "statistics
> pornography", allow me this metaphor :-)
>
> It relies on weak assumptions (thomas just explained) and hence a
> bunch of variables which variance can't be somewhat controlled
> (statistically speaking) to isolate the dependent variable, ie the
> real ability to discriminate (golden ears)...

Agreed the source material probably makes quite a difference. I'd
imagine there's music that would be transparent at ~100 kbps while
other might require ~160.

As previously stated I do believe the AxelF sample is in the
harder-to-encode region for MP3 encoders so I'm pretty sure my
concentrated listening threshold for average music is somewhere around
130-140 kbps or so.

  - Peder