[LAU] E-MU 1212m soundcard installation help for the blind

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Fri Apr 5 22:54:29 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!
   So, I've got an E-MU 1212m PCIE (PCI express) soundcard now. And it doesn't
work. so there are a few questions.
   First it's mebeing blid and not familiar with PCIE slots. There are two
cards. Youcan see the product from alsa-project.org or I can give you a direct
link to the manual off-list.
   So in my PC I have one full PCI express slot (a long one, almost like a PCI
slot) and I've got a short one. A friend supposed PCIE 1.
   there there are two cards a big one, the one with the digital I/O, which I
slotted into the small slot and a small card (the analogue I/O and MIDI I/O),
which I slotted into the long slot. So far so good.
   My lspci gives me:
[...]
03:00.0 PCI bridge: Pericom Semiconductor Device e111 (rev 02)
04:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
   I think these two are new, I didn't recognise them and they are right at the
end of the list.
   I have compile ALSA modules for everything E-MU/creative labs (10K1, 10K1X,
the dell bit and 20K2). My ALSA version is 1.0.23 and kernel version is 2.6.38
(self-compiled).
   Still ALSA doesn't give any new soundcard.
   The two cards are coorectly connected with the IDE-like cable, but not
screwed in. Still they look firm enough.
   Any ideas? Would that be the wrong slot for the big card (the main board of
the two, I think)? Or is the ALSA driver not detecting it correctly? Should
lspci show more?
   Remember, I can't see myself and the sighted people around me are so NOT
into computers, that they aren't of any help really.
   Thanks for a ny good advise!
   Warm regards
         Julien