[LAU] Somebody here using: Phasex configuration

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sun Apr 7 23:58:09 UTC 2013

On 08/04/13 01:26, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Sun, April 7, 2013 4:47 am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> I like the sound of Phasex, but never used it. I don't remember why I
>> never used it, but Perhaps I always run into this issue. I'm already
>> annoyed by all those apps, were I have to manually load the settings
>> after starting them by a script, but at least I can store and load
>> settings for those apps. If this doesn't work, an app IMO is completely
>> useless.
>
> It does have some interesting sounds. If I want those sounds I will use
> it, but I am not much of a keyboards person and so tend not to experiment
> in that area as much.

It definitely has some unique features: the delays are fun, for
instance, because they can be modulated by LFOs, and it's also one of
the few softsynths I know of (the only one I can think of off-hand for
Linux, in fact) that can take audio input and run it through its
filter/envelopes, much like many hardware synths can. That opens up some
interesting possibilities.

It takes a lot to get me to use an external JACK softsynth these days,
though -- I rarely even use Hydrogen any more. If it's not a plugin
(preferably LV2, though native VST will do in a pinch), I'm pretty
unlikely to use it, unless it's the only option available to get the
result I'm after.

Thanks
Leigh