[LAU] Hang Drum SFZ

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Apr 13 22:12:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 11:19:01PM +0200, R. Mattes wrote:
>
> > Thanks, what a lovely sample set! Reminds me of more than a decade
> > of Gamelan playing long ago ...
> >
> > > woohoooo! one my favorite instruments. does this mean i need to learn
> to use
> > one of the sfz capable plugins now? :)
> > >
> > > it will be interesting to compare to Pianoteq's various "hang-ish" drum
> > sounds (physical modelling)
>
> OTOH, such bell-like sounds are fairly easy to create using Pd,
> Csound, SuperCollider etc., and this will also allow much more
> expression than using a fixed sample set.

actually, no :)

I spent quite a while talking to several people a couple of years ago
(including Julius Smith) about the best way to model a pan drum. To do it
correctly is quite challenging. The Pianoteq guys gave me a few hints on
what they had done. I was trying to create an instrument that I planned to
called a "dang drum" (for "digital hang"), but to model the way the modes
of these things interact is quite tricky, and the usual "mode" operators in
Pd, CSound, SC etc, don't really capture the subtleties required.

I was very, very disappointed to find that I had lost the CSound code I had
worked on. The only thing I have left from efforts is a single wav file.
Take a listen if you want. My memory was this involved at least 15
different mode operators in conjunction with some kind of reverb. It sounds
fairly cool, but is really nothing remotely like the real sound of a hang
(or even a regular steel drum).

    http://community.ardour.org/files/dang1.ogg

If anyone is interested, I have a stack of papers on the physics of the
hang drum, including several with clever visual analysis of the instrument
to show the vibration modes, discussions of the characteristics of the
metal used, and so on.

--p