[LAU] Hang Drum SFZ

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Apr 13 22:44:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 06:12:42PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:
>
> > OTOH, such bell-like sounds are fairly easy to create using Pd,
> > Csound, SuperCollider etc., and this will also allow much more
> > expression than using a fixed sample set.
>
> actually, no :)
>
> I spent quite a while talking to several people a couple of years ago
> (including Julius Smith) about the best way to model a pan drum. To do it
> correctly is quite challenging. The Pianoteq guys gave me a few hints on
> what they had done. I was trying to create an instrument that I planned to
> called a "dang drum" (for "digital hang"), but to model the way the modes
> of these things interact is quite tricky, and the usual "mode" operators in
> Pd, CSound, SC etc, don't really capture the subtleties required.

Modelling it is one way, and that could indeed become quite complicated.
Another way is to analyse the real thing, find out the parameter space,
and recreate the sound using additive synthesis, no matter what could be
the model behind it. Sort of cheating, but it works.

> I was very, very disappointed to find that I had lost the CSound code I had
> worked on. The only thing I have left from efforts is a single wav file.
> Take a listen if you want. My memory was this involved at least 15
> different mode operators in conjunction with some kind of reverb. It sounds
> fairly cool, but is really nothing remotely like the real sound of a hang
> (or even a regular steel drum).
>
>     http://community.ardour.org/files/dang1.ogg

Nice work anyway.

> If anyone is interested, I have a stack of papers on the physics of the
> hang drum, including several with clever visual analysis of the instrument
> to show the vibration modes, discussions of the characteristics of the
> metal used, and so on.

I'd certainly be interested. Steel drums I imagine are an order of magnitude
more complex than bells... but they make lovely boings...

Created using 1980s technology: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxEGPIEraFA>

Ciao,

--
FA

Horas avolantes numero, mortuos plango, vivos ad preces voco.