[LAU] Ardour3/jackd: connecting MIDI in/outs ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Apr 14 20:26:48 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM, <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Le 14-04-2013 16:09, Paul Davis a écrit :
>
> > run a2jmidid -e
>
> Thanks, and thank for pointing out the manual.  I found out that in
> qjackctl's ALSA tab I can put the Axiom in the a2j thru channel and then in
> the MIDI tab,

no need for this sort of nonsense.

when you run a2jmidid -e EVERY hardware and software port on your system
will appear in the MIDI tab of qjackctl.

you can then connect up freely, 1-to-1, 1-to-many or many-to-1, however you
wish.

the whole point of a2jmidid is that you leave the world of ALSA MIDI alone,
and are able to operate entirely within the world of JACK MIDI.

> Another interesting thing would be to do the same, but replace Hydrogen by
> a hardware device.  To have Ardour3 record MIDI data from an external
> keyboard, playing sounds on that external keyboard, and then the same times
> 3 keyboards.  There is a long drop-down list of known MIDI devices for a
> MIDI track.  Does Ardour3 knows about proprietary data exchanges for each
> of these deices ?

there is no propritary data going on - it is all MIDI, which is why MIDI
has been so successful.

the known devices dropdown has nothing to do with communication but simply
to do with being able to name patches, patch banks and controllers in a
device specific way. you don't *need* the names, it just makes it slightly
easier if you are using a device for which an accurate "MIDNAM" file exists.

> Thanks again, and I should be using the Ardour3 community site :-)

no, i hate forums. don't use them. use mailing lists or IRC. but yes, you
should be on the ardour-users mailing list with this stuff.