[LAU] pcm_multi and JACKD2 1.9.7

Julien Claassen julien at mail.upb.de
Wed Apr 17 11:01:07 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!
   IO'm trying to set up my delta and E-MU cards as one, using the ALSA
pcm_multi device type. But it does not work.
   Starting of one pcm_multi device with only one slave (the analog I/O of the
E-MU 1212m, works fine.
   Trying the same with only the digital ins also works. Trying to put both
hw:4,0 and hw:4,2 (analog and digital) in one pcm_multi capture device doesn't
work. JACK tells me:
[...]
ALSA: no playback configurations available (Invalid argument)
ALSA: cannot configure capture channel
Cannot initialize driver
[...]
   and finally fails with status of -1.
   I noticed - in testing -, that when I only give one capture device and no
playback, JACK seems to assume, tat the control device is hw:0 (which in my
case is just ALSA loopback. I have to supply hw:4 or hw:4,0 as output to see a
different control device.
   Question: why does ALSA or ACK want to create a playback setting for the
capture device? Is there perhaps a special key/attribute to use inside the the
multi devices? I took my setup from here:
http://www.jrigg.co.uk/linuxaudio/ice1712multi.html
   My kernel version is 3.9.0-rc6 and the ALSA is shipped with the kernel.
JACKD is JACKDMP version 1.9.7. the MAudio Delta's S/PDIFF out is linked to
the E-MU's S/PDIFF in and clock source in the mixer is set to S/PDIFF. The
Delta's samplerate is 48kHz.
   Any ideas? Similar problems, that got fixed, perhaps?
   Warm regards
         Julien