[LAU] Fwd: Re: Raspberry Pi and real-time, low-latency audio

Carlos sanchiavedraz csanchezgs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 08:46:18 UTC 2013

2013/4/19 Nicola <nicola.di.marzo at vodafone.it>:
> Il 19/04/2013 19:54, Jeremy Jongepier ha scritto:
>
>> On 04/19/2013 11:11 AM, Nicola wrote:
>>>
>>> That's great, "keep it simple" i should say...that's why i think it's
>>> brilliant!
>>

>> Keep an eye on http://ampbrownie.com/ then, it's an effort to make it even
>> simpler.
>
> I knew it, fascinating project, a little bit expensive with that sound
> card...

Really great that project, I'll give it a try and see. First I'll need
to but another SD or try to boot from USB.

>>> yeah, that's what happened to me and i still don't know why.
>>> I'll try to increase the rtprio as well, good tip, thanks!
>>

>> I'll have to check if I have the same issue. I don't recall running into a
>> similar issue.
>>
>>> Maybe there's no need to install Ubuntu.
>>> I found out that there are 2 apps: "Connectbot" and "X server" in the
>>> market that that may do the job with android.
>>> Connectbot doesn't provide the "-X" option so we should set up the
>>> DISPLAY variable accordingly with the ip-port on the X server app.
>>> Maybe i'm just wasting my time but i will give it a try...
>>

>> Ah, so you want to run the guitarix GUI on your tablet! I thought you
>> wanted to control it via MIDI and some touch app. Connectbot is not an
>> option, Android doesn't run X. I've never heard of the other option, sounds
>> interesting, I wonder what the performance and responsiveness is like.
>
> I was able to run guitarix gui on nexus7 with those 2 apps but the result
> wasn't good at all.
> It's ok to run xterm or that kind of simple gui stuff...
> But yeah i also will look for some midi-wireless app to use it like a
> controller as you suggested ;-)
> We still have 2 other possible ways to try to control it with "touch"...with
> gui (with ubuntu) or midi (with android or ubuntu) :-)

You can try DSMI[1] (MIDI over wifi server, really simple) and any
MIDI-controller app that supports DSMI directly or OSC on Android,
i.e: Ivory Tower[2]

[1] http://dsmi.tobw.net/
[2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.codeidea.ivorytower&hl=en

It seems you are trying to achieve that same headless center using
Android as a GUI I've mentioned some times, great. I had some success
with MIDI over wifi, but now I have to get some device and I'm not
sure if that's gonna be an Android+RPi or just some other touch-UMPC
device to run Linux directly instead of
"fighting"/configuring/tweaking again to get whatever to do what I
want.
Maybe you're Nexus is a good choice.

>> Jeremy

> --