[LAU] Adding a USB device (not working)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Apr 22 22:51:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, April 22, 2013 3:36 pm, Bob van der Poel wrote:
> Well ... got it working. I was plugging the cable into the usb ports
> on the front of my computer. They seem to work for everything else I
> try, so why not the audio device?
>
> But, to test once more I unplugged a cable from my flatbed scanner
> (plugged into the back of the computer) and put it on the audio
> device. Came up right away.
>
> So, this actually points to an easy way to use the audio device ...
> swap the cable out from the scanner. Since I'll never use both at the
> same time, this makes it a bit easier since I don't have to reach
> behind the computer to do the feel and grope routine :)
>
> Still, what's wrong with the front panel ports?

Have you tried using the front ports with the scanner unplugged? Could be
the scanner doesn't play well with it. Or it could be the front ports use
irq16 along with the video card, other usb, and whatever. Could be the
back usb is usb2.0 and the front are not (unlikely I would think).

dmesg |tail should tell you about usb 2.0 and cat /proc/interrupts should
tell you what irq the usb port dmesg tels you about is using (and what
else is on that irq too).

--
Len Ovens
www.OvenWerks.net