[LAU] linux compatible USB Audio Interface

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 18:38:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM, William Light <wrl at illest.net> wrote:
> occhi,
> any particular reason you want an interface with a separate power plug?
> USB bus power will do most of what you want.
>
> personally, i currently have a focusrite scarlett 2i2, and the 2i4 may
> suit your needs. the 2i2 is good, sounds fine, good latency.

I have a 2i4 - it only has 2 inputs though (as the name suggests). It
is an excellent device overall, but I have been having some serious
teething troubles with kernel releases over 3.5. I am providing bug
reports to the kernel devs and these problems (not being able to start
at low latencies, audio system locking up) seem to be slowly being
addressed, but performance is not quite there yet for me, and I would
suggest if you decided to get one of these devices, and are affected
by these bugs, you might experience less pain using the earlier 3.5
series kernels for now. I think that this problem is not just limited
to the scarlett devices, and that other USB audio devices may be
similarly affected. Also, I think these issues may also be
USB-hardware (or BIOS?) dependent, so some people with the same kernel
and audio device may not experience the same bugs.

James