[LAU] sortof OT -- ART tube pac preamp and compressor noisy?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Aug 14 23:57:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 03:52:19PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:

> Something to watch out for though... just because your pre likes a line
> level of +4 or +8 doesn't mean the card can handle it, some start clipping
> at around -10, even with the input level turned down. If there is a gain
> or buffer stage before the level control, that can clip even with what
> looks like a low level inside the computer. That's what ears are for. No
> matter how good the equipment is, in the end you have to listen to it and
> try settings till it sounds best. Mudita24 or envy24control has lots of
> meters to help you set your 1010 up. They give a pretty good idea of what
> your card can handle.

The first thing you need to know is what the controls
actually control.

I've never used a 1010lt, but in order to provide some solid
info rather than guesses to the OP of this thread, I've been
reading the manual. Some of it is informative, most of it is
the usual blabla. The 1010lt has 8 analog inputs. Two of them
have mic preamps, which can be configured for different gains
by jumpers on the PCB. Then there are 'input level' controls
in the mixer app. Not just the usual -10dB/+4dB switches, but
even real faders. Even after reading all of the manual, it's
a perfect mistery what those are actually controlling - analog
gain before the AD converter, or some scaling in the digital
domain. If I had the card I could easily find out in a few
minutes. But without the HW one can only guess.

Combining the tube preamp and the 1010lt, there are at least
four points were gains can be set between the mic and the SW.
Usually two of them is enough to confuse a non-technical
user.

Ciao,

--
FA