[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 18:03:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Egor Sanin <egor.sanin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/13, J. Liles <malnourite at gmail.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > An interesting point. As a though experiment: pretend you are a musician;
> > if someone came to you asking you to rewrite your song to better suit
> their
> > listening needs, how would you respond?
> >

> That is a very apt and illustrative comparison. And my answer is that
> you have exactly the same options as a developer of software!  The
> problem is that this kind of situation is rarely black or white.  It
> is always subjective.
>
> If some brash and shallow peruser of linux expressed the same opinions
> as OP, I would likely also bash that person, but from my involvement
> with linux audio, I know for a fact that OP is a valuable member of
> this community, and believe that he deserves more thoughtful reactions
> to his opinion than "don't complain" and "do something about it."

I've never questioned OPs experience or power-user status or anything of
that nature. I think we all need to remember that we use GNU/Linux and
free-software not only because of the low price or because it works
perfectly all the time. We use it for practical and ethical reasons as
well. I wouldn't give up on a musician because they missed a note, and I
wouldn't give up on Linux Audio because it has a few bugs. The truth is,
Linux Audio didn't exist, I wouldn't be using computers to make music.
Period. I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same boat. Some for
financial reasons, some for practical reasons, some for ethical reasons. We
all need it to work. But only a very few of us are willing to put in the
time to make it work.