[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 22:19:42 UTC 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Gabbe Nord <gabbe.nord at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haha, that simplified things ;) Thanks! I'm going to check out the plugins
> on the list I don't know personally too. Is there any of those plugins that
> stand out in terms of how good they are?

As with anything else, you'll only notice when things don't work, not when
they do. A good plugin is simply one that does what it says on the tin. I'd
say that the C*  Versatile Plate Reverb is one of the better algo reverbs
out there (although lately I've moved to doing all my reverb with
jconvolver, instead of plugins). The GLAME Butterworth Highpass and Lowpass
are what they claim to be and work for most EQ tasks. DJ EQ is pretty good
when you need a few more bands. Fons' Parametric EQ is good when you need
more control, but isn't very user friendly. TAP TubeWarmth is good for
killing some of the fidelity of vocals. SC4 Mono is my go-to compressor.
The guitarix plugins are OK, but they have some denormal problems and
aren't very user friendly.

I'm not a believer in mojo. EQ is EQ, distortion is distortion etc. IMHO
the best plugins simple ones that do one thing.