[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 22:49:01 UTC 2013

As an OP, I'd like to comment briefly on a couple of things.

1.
Some people in this discussion try to sound as if what they do is done
strictly for themselves and they don't care if something is broken, just
fix it yourself.
I find this intellectually dishonest.

Many software is clearly released as software which is created to be used
by other people and some project sites clearly present it as such. Forums
are created for users to comment on it and bug report systems are
available. Initial motivation is not something that can be used to say -
you know, initially I did it for myself. Many commercial products started
off as being made for oneself, so what.

So if you really don't care whether your software is broken or not - please
get rid of forums and bug reporting system on your project site.

2.
Also, there is a difference - and a huge one - between software which has a
bug in some weird rarely used function and a bug in basic stuff. In my
podcast I talked specifically about constantly bumping into basic problems,
like not being able to render a file. And that was pointed out as a factor
in being tired of reporting bugs.

If a software is presented as a sequencer, for instance, not being able to
render a file properly sounds like a basic problem to me.

3.
I thank Egor for pointing this out, but making music not only sounds like
"work" to me, a Linux Audio scene without musicians is a bit like a bike
that everybody works on, but nobody really uses. Linux Audio community is
both developers AND musicians. An attempt to make everyone a developer is
not justified, in my opinion. I don't want to fix bugs, I am a musician.
And as a musician I am extremely productive and I believe I do a good share
of the musician's work that helps to show what can be done using Linux
software.

4.
And finally, the question of money.

I think this is irrelevant, saying "it is all free, so don't complain".
There are many things in the world that are free, does it mean their
standards are by default beyond any discussion? My podcast is also free, so
why then all the arguing? I shared with you a free broadcast product, no?

Obviously, discussing something has nothing to with whether it is free or
not. And in my podcast I have repeatedly said that this was not an
implication that anyone owed me something, yet I still received that tired
rhetoric.

A lower quality of a given non-commercial product might be explained by its
lack of profitability, it does not change the fact that it is of low
quality.

L.V.

ps: yeah, and I will record smth that is constructive suggestions on the
situation