[LAU] Linux Audio podcast. episode003: commenting replies

J. Liles malnourite at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 16:11:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 11:29 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com>wrote:

> "You are crying that everything is broken"
> "What I am asking you to do is understand just how subjective your
> situation is."
>
> Dear Jonathan, nowhere in my podcast do I say that "everything is broken"
> or that my situation is objective. I also do not agree that the tone of my
> message is "crying". As a long-time user of Linux Audio who writes lots of
> music, I shared my personal subjective experience and, reflecting on it,
> decided to share it.
>
> What's the problem?

In case you haven't noticed statements of a similar sentiment come up a
lot--usually not from the mouths of the most intelligent users either. I
think yours is the first I've really seen in podcast form though. The
problem is that, in aggregate these statements create the impression that
linux audio sucks, even though it doesn't. *My* view on Linux Audio is
pretty positive. Aside from some long standing gripes with parts of the
JACK API, (and as we've been over, some problematic plugins (easy enough to
ignore) everything just works. It doesn't just work by magic, though. I
spent 7 years of my damn life MAKING it work.

You don't think about that when you make your podcast... How hard
*everybody* in this community has worked on your behalf. Even if it weren't
harmful (which it is), it would *still* be at least unproductive, and why
on earth would you want to spend your time being unproductive.

If your desire is to somehow motivate the developers of the software you
use into fixing some bugs, well I have to tell you, it's unlikely to have
that effect. It's just depressing. They might give up.

> "It's false and misleading, and it actively harms the community which has
> only benefited you."
>
> I don't think you can speak for the whole community. Some people found my
> message interesting and have supplied helpful comments.

I can say what many others are in no position to.

> "Does the free-software community benefit from you? Can you seriously
> argue that it does? There is a word for those who benefit without offering
> any positive contribution."
>
> What do you consider to be "positive contribution"? Saying only good
> things?
> Just in case you do not know, I have a range of material dedicated to
> Linux Audio: http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux

Articles are good--I haven't read the so I'll have to take your word for it
that they are constructive.

> I also believe that promoting the fact that I make my music with Linux is
> a positive contribution, like here:
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=music&t=another_reality

This is not a contribution. It may be good for the ego of either the
musician or the developer whose project is named (I know I get a kick out
of it every time I see my projects listed in such a way), but does nothing
for progress.

My life within Linux Audio is multifaceted. The fact that I said something
> on a podcast that you saw as "crying" does not mean I do not contribute.
> And yeah, Linux sucks:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw

Look, Louigi, obviously you have a podcast that people are willing to
listen to. If you really want to do something good, then I'm sure you can
find a better way than posting the kind of podcasts you've done recently.