[LAU] 3.10-rt kernels unusable

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Aug 26 09:00:50 UTC 2013

Hi :)

on my machine 3.10.6-rt3 and 3.10.9-rt5 x86_64 don't work properly.
Linux 3.10.9 doesn't cause issues. The last kernel-rt I used before the
3.10-rt kernels was 3.8.13-rt14, not used for audio production, but for
daily desktop usage without issues.

When running 3.10.9-rt5 even a terminal can't be opened anymore.
Xfce-terminal and xterm open without a prompt, Ctrl+Alt+F-keys don't
work. A shutdown does start delayed and then takes an hour without
completely finishing.

Does a 3.10-rt kernel work for someone on x86_64 architecture without
issues? The mobo is an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI with an AMD Athlon dual-core 2.1
GHz, BE-2350 and 4 GiB RAM.

Only tested with Arch Linux, perhaps I should test linux-3.10-rt on
Ubuntu Studio too, not done until now, because building takes around two
hours.

Regards,
Ralf